Image ID: 00407
There has been a grammar school in Ripon since Anglo-Saxon times when a school was attached to the Collegiate Church of St Wilfrid. The school was re-founded in 1555 when Queen Mary and King Philip signed its charter. The school was required to provide a free education for the boys of Ripon, although the master also took in paying boarders. In September 1874 the school moved to Clotherholme Road, with the Marquess of Ripon providing the land for the main school building.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Educational, Education, Schools
Organisation Reference: A0811
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate